Yesh Gvul
Courage To Refuse
Shministim
Pilots
Free The Five
New Profile
Refuser Solidarity Network


Name: Antony Loewenstein
Home: Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Comment Rules
About Me:
See my complete profile



Google
Web antonyloewenstein.blogspot.com
Sweat-Shop Productions
Sweat-Shop Productions
Sweat-Shop Productions



Blogs

Sites




Previous Posts



Powered by Blogger

 


Thursday, January 19, 2006

A high price to pay

The following email was sent by Kurt Nimmo, editor of "Another Day in the Empire", on January 16:

"I'm sorry to respond in boilerplate fashion to those of you who have emailed to ask why I have decided to stop posting on the Another Day in the Empire blog. I wish I could answer all of you personally, but the response to my decision has been overwhelming. In lieu of a personal response, please accept the following explanation.

"The primary reason I have decided to stop posting the blog has to do with threats. I have received many of them, including death threats. Usually, I am able to brush aside threats, since most are not of a serious nature, but lately I have received several that are not to be taken lightly, especially considering the fact somebody has taken the liberty to post my address and telephone number (information easily attained from the domain registry) in various places on the internet. First and foremost, I have a responsibility to my family and posting political commentary obviously comes in a distant second.

"Earlier today, due to the above, my wife asked me to take down the blog. Her name is being used to post libellous and hateful messages on various forums and this disturbs her immensely (over the last two years, somebody has also hijacked my name to post hateful and threatening comments; as well, a writer, who shall remain anonymous, complained last year that he had received threatening phone calls by somebody claiming to be me). Moreover, I have received threatening phone calls at my place of work, thus jeopardizing my livelihood. I can no longer allow any of this to continue.

"In the case of the threatening phone call made to my place of work, I have a good idea who it is - members of a local chapter of Betar, a Zionist youth organization. It is really of no importance how I know this. As for the hijacking of my name, that of my wife, and numerous death threats, I am fairly certain it is, as well, Zionists, who are angered, possibly to the point of violence, by my commentary and well-researched indictment of both Zionists and their political allies in this country.

"Finally, I am saddened by the fact one cannot engage in political discussion in this country without being subjected to abusive and potentially violent behaviour on the part of those who disagree. I'm afraid this will only get worse in the months ahead, as Bush and the neocons prepare to attack Iran.

"Unfortunately, there are many scary parallels between the United States in 2006 and Nazi Germany, circa the 1930s. I must stress again that I am concerned about the threats issued against my family and first and foremost the health of my wife.

"I sincerely thank all of you for supporting the blog, especially those of you who have contributed financially. I hope for a day when all citizens in this country may be able to express their opinions without the fear of retribution and violence. Unfortunately, I believe things will get far worse before they get better."

Following this message, he received overwhelming support for his work and has decided to continue.

26 Comments:

Blogger Ibrahamav said...

Sounds like another phony cry of victimhood from the antisemitic left.

Thursday, January 19, 2006 3:51:00 pm  
Blogger Stev said...

Something like this perhaps?

The head of French Friends of Israel's Likud Party admitted staging anti-Semitic phone calls to himself.

Alex Moise received a two-month suspended sentence and a $1,000 fine from a Paris court Thursday for giving a false statement and for wasting the court's time. Moise filed a complaint in January [2004] claiming he had received anti-Semitic phone calls and threats but later admitted that he himself had made the calls.


Source

Thursday, January 19, 2006 4:12:00 pm  
Blogger Progressive Atheist said...

Sounds like another phony cry of innocence from the Zionist Right.

Thursday, January 19, 2006 4:42:00 pm  
Blogger Antony Loewenstein said...

Amazing, hey? The guy receives death threats and other kinds of threats, and he's accused of faking it.
Is this the way to behave in a democracy? Clearly for some, the answer is yes.

Thursday, January 19, 2006 5:07:00 pm  
Blogger leftvegdrunk said...

ibrahamav, it's nearly time for you to be brought out of your foul-mouthed anonymity. Soon we will all know who you are I think. I hope you have the courage of your convictions.

Thursday, January 19, 2006 5:18:00 pm  
Blogger Shabadoo said...

Oh, look, there are nuts on all sides, and if what's happened is as he says it is, well, it's stupid at best and criminal at worst and the guys responsible are only hurting their own side...BUUUUUUUUT comparing the US to 1930s Germany is the sort of facile and ridiculous statement that only hurts his own side.

Thursday, January 19, 2006 5:52:00 pm  
Blogger violet said...

Actually Antony, I never thought I'd agree with you about anything but ... Kurt Nimmo does have a right to free speech. I looked at his blog and disagree with what he says -- but I believe he has every right to say it .

I noticed he posted a photo that ran in the NYT and was later found to be a fake. Perhaps you ought to tell him. The artillery shell in the photo is very obviously an ancient unfired shell dug up from somewhere used as a prop. The NYT later removed it from their site. This is an example of typical Arab propaganda.

Thursday, January 19, 2006 6:17:00 pm  
Blogger Edward Mariyani-Squire said...

I wonder how common this tactic is.

Evan Jones over at Alert and Alarmed had his work address (including office location), phone no, and email posted. This is no biggy, I suppose, because one could google it if one wanted, but the fact that some loon posted it at all indicates s/he thought it would be useful to others.

I myself have received a few "crazy" emails at work thanks to the same loon's handiwork.

Thursday, January 19, 2006 10:03:00 pm  
Blogger Wilbourne said...

Well that was the first time I've read, or heard of, Kurt Nimmo.

It's a tough task to use the word Zionist more then Antony here, with so much more bravado and amazingly, less justification. But Kurt leaves Antony looking like a rank amatuer. Stand aside Indymedia, there is a new king. Straussian dogs!

Thursday, January 19, 2006 10:16:00 pm  
Blogger Melanie said...

If what he says about the threatening phone call is true than whoever did it should be prosecuted. But maybe it was a publicity stunt seeing on his site on a post dated Jan 14th he has a photo that has been shown to have been staged.
http://www.americanthinker.com/articles.php?article_id=5163

And looking at other rubbish he's published, I'm not holding too much faith in his credibility.

Thursday, January 19, 2006 10:33:00 pm  
Blogger violet said...

It's not about credibility or stunts or whether he is obnoxious -- it's about his right to free speech. We live in a democracy and everybody has the right to speak freely. We need to uphold that principle for everyone, not just those we agree with.

I don't agree with any of Antony's political views, but I respect his right to have them and to speak freely about them.

Thursday, January 19, 2006 11:20:00 pm  
Blogger Melanie said...

Sure absoltely free speech is of the utmost importance. Scepticsm is healthy too. I mean the other day we had John Safran, Antony Loewenstein and Austen Tayshus all obnoxious and all on tv for ratings. Each on was about improving their profile.

Safran didn't care, he had 2 people that hated each other for entertainment value not content.

Having said that, anyone perpetrating that kind of harassment needs to be dealt with my the full force of the law.

Thursday, January 19, 2006 11:58:00 pm  
Blogger violet said...

I like this comment by Michael Totten on his blog:

"Due to a troll infestation, comments are closed until a subscription system is in place. I need to plan a trip to Iraq and have neither the time nor the inclination to babysit foul-mouthed psychotics. Thank you for understanding."

Friday, January 20, 2006 10:49:00 am  
Blogger Wombat said...

With the exception of one or two people, I think most or the posters here are pretty respectable.

Personally, I enjoy hearing the opinions of thsoe who disagree with me, and even more so when they are able to express their views without become foul mouthed.

It's often those that you disagree with, from whom you probably stand to learn the most.

Friday, January 20, 2006 11:16:00 am  
Blogger Ibrahamav said...

Another addamo filled whacko who thinks profanity has no place within human discourse.

At least we know what it is thinking.

I learned nothing from Hitler. What did you learn from Hillel?

Friday, January 20, 2006 4:30:00 pm  
Blogger Progressive Atheist said...

"Do not to others what you would not like others do to you." - Hillel.

Practise it.

Friday, January 20, 2006 4:50:00 pm  
Blogger Glenn Condell said...

Thank you shab and violet for your clear denunciation of what some of your fellow travellers have done to Nimmo. How about you ibrahamav - bridge too far?

Friday, January 20, 2006 5:33:00 pm  
Blogger Ibrahamav said...

You are thanking others for denouncing what your fellow travellers have done?

Saturday, January 21, 2006 12:14:00 am  
Blogger Mannie said...

I learnt quite a lot from Hitler. I learnt that he was receiving steel and other necessities for armaments manufacture from the USA and others through "neutral countries like Sweden and Spain; that he was supported in his attempts to defeat the USSR because the Allies saw them as a threat to their dominance of the west; that the death camps at Auschwitz, Buchenwald, Dachau and others were known about by the Allies as early as 1942; that Jews in Europe who were still alive at that stage hoped against hope that the Allies would bomb the camps - they didn't of course - they wanted as many Jews dead as possible; that those of us Jews who lived in South Africa during Hitler's time knew that he was supporting the Afrikaners who were nazi sympathisers and that if Rommel had won in North Africa I wouldn't be typing this message today!
I learnt that anti-semites are everywhere I have lived and worked and that accusations of anti-semitism to people on this blog are themselves anti-semitic statements.

Saturday, January 21, 2006 1:09:00 am  
Blogger Ibrahamav said...

Mannie, I have learned that those going through senility often ramble. You are no different.

Saturday, January 21, 2006 1:25:00 am  
Blogger Edward Mariyani-Squire said...

Ibrahamav said...
"Mannie, I have learned that...."

You bring shame upon yourself and your family, Ibrahamav.

Saturday, January 21, 2006 4:55:00 am  
Blogger Ibrahamav said...

No I don't. But most antisemites do.

Mannie's statement that the allies desired the death of as many Jews as possible is sick and worthy only of the likes of you and your ilk.

I hope to God his belief is caused by his rapidly diminishing mental capacity. We know what yours is caused by.

Saturday, January 21, 2006 5:06:00 am  
Blogger Wombat said...

Edward Mariyani-Squire said...

"You bring shame upon yourself and your family, Ibrahamav."

I must admit that these spiteful and viscious remarks are even below you Ibrahm. How low are you prepard to sink to blindly defend the indefensible?

Saturday, January 21, 2006 7:19:00 am  
Blogger Edward Mariyani-Squire said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Saturday, January 21, 2006 7:36:00 am  
Blogger Edward Mariyani-Squire said...

Edward Mariyani-Squire said...
Ibrahamav said...
"No I don't."


You are utterly shameful. You are a total moral degenerate. No wonder you can support the murder of children. I don't know whether to be more disgusted with you or your parents.

Saturday, January 21, 2006 7:38:00 am  
Blogger Mr Whippy said...

Ibrahamav said: Mannie, I have learned
Antony, it amazes me that you manage to attract such persistent, foul-mouthed, psychopathic, Zionist shills on your site. (Either that, or Nazi-types trying to create anti-semitism through bizarre exercises of vitriolic reverse psychology).

You must be doing something right. Keep up the good work!

PS - Mannie: Your comment read with the quiet, yet firm voice of reason and true understanding. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Saturday, January 21, 2006 11:47:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home